Monday, 12 November 2007

Strange things are happening

I love Valleyview.

Which is strange. It's supposed to be "I love Abbotsford" . . . that is what I used to proclaim as I'd stroll down the avenue in a light jacket well into Fall, as I watched the leaves hang on past November, as winter boots became a seldom-used fashion, as new growth sprang up almost in line with the new year . . .

But, "I love Valleyview"?

That's strange. I haven't always. In fact, by the end of summer, I wanted to do anything but stay here. Still, I hoped that once the girls started school in September that life might settle into more of a routine. I hoped that once Geof had recovered and was back to work, that life would take on more of the shape we had expected. I hoped that I would be able to get to know people, to be more comfortable in my surroundings, to appreciate the beauty of Valleyview, to become less of a stranger.

And I believe that is happening. There is good here. Oh, there is sometimes an unfamiliar way of doing things, a unique way of saying things, a surprising knowledge of others, and I don't feel like I'm in the inner circle yet, but there is good.

Though God has probably been working on me over the last few weeks, I realized only on Tuesday that I was happy here. I was taking a short walk home from school, where I had helped out in Lacey's class for part of the morning, and I caught myself uttering those strange words. I love Valleyview. For whatever reason, the brisk air brought me joy, and in turn, caused me to feel pleased about what I had done that morning. I have to say - as corny as this may sound - that it is definitely "a dry cold"! So I felt the crisp air refreshing rather than biting. But even more important than the temperature, I know my family is happy to be here, and I am strangely happy to be here.

Though the cold of winter is on its way, there was a spring in my step. And that in itself is strange.