Monday, 24 September 2007

That's just the way it is

In most respects, today was a good day. We went to church; we went to a family's home for lunch; Geof, the men and the kids played touch football; the ladies went for a long walk. It was good to connect, to have community, to get to know some people, to be included.

Yet, I felt sad that we were here. Besides some parenting issues that caused emotion for me, there is the notion that the girls don't have any really good friends yet - they talk about their new friends at school, but that is still so new - as is Sunday School and Kids' Club. When I see other girls hanging out together in their familiar way, when I see that my girls have to make the first move, when I sense a lack of interest, I feel left out for my kids. Right now they need us around them more than usual because they are a bit shy and uncomfortable as the new kids in new surroundings.

I can rationalize my thoughts by saying, "It's too soon. Give it time. Don't worry about that - they aren't. They're fine! It only seems to be your problem - not theirs."

But today I just wanted to go back to the way life was.

No comments: